New! Country Briefs
The Country Briefs monitor
- cereal and livestock prices; and
- analyze factors affecting the current food security situation.
The objective of this brief is to examine the challenges faced by countries and regional economic communities in implementing CAADP in a context of high and volatile food prices, and to draw policy recommendations for high level decision makers. It [...]
This brief examines tools and policies for integrating risk management into the Comprehensive African Agricultural Development Program (CAADP).
Participants received training on the Global Information Early Warning System (GIEWS) price tool, FAOSTAT and the Price Monitoring Tool developed by FAO’s Agricultural Development Economics division. By the end of the workshop the participants were able to respond to the [...]
The training introduced various tools for price analysis. The tools help track current prices and make estimates of future price changes based on historical data. A good understanding of price and market trends would allow policy makers to be better [...]
Stabilizing price incentives for staple grain producers in the context of broader agricultural policies
Price uncertainty is a major constraint to a sustained increase in staple food production. This paper reviews the trends and patterns of addressing this age-old problem over the course of the past several decades. Farmers in most developed countries and [...]
- The population under the poverty threshold decreased between 2009 and 2011, from 9.9% in 2009 to 9.7% in 2010 and 9.2% in 2011. Social assistance decreased accordingly.
- The period of January–March was distinguished by low food prices comparing to the same [...]
- Agricultural production is expected to be higher in 2012 than in 2011 for all main crops. Wheat production continues to increase and self-sufficiency is expected in 2015.
- The prevalence of poverty continued to decline from 9.1% in 2010 to 7.6% in [...]
- Agricultural production is expected to be good in 2012, much above the 2007–2011 average levels for all main products, except winter crops which have been severely affected by frosts. A tender has been launched to import 70 000 tonnes of [...]
- Food prices increased by 4.4% between December 2011 and March 2012. Potato price increased by 15%, bread and beef prices remained about stable.
- The production of wheat, potato and fruits is expected to be higher in 2012 than in 2011, due [...]