New! Country Briefs
The Country Briefs monitor
- cereal and livestock prices; and
- analyze factors affecting the current food security situation.
Currently, several organisations in Tajikistan are collecting data in the field of agricultural market information. Each of them uses different methods and approaches for data collection and analysis. While this exercise creates alternative sources of information and products for different [...]
The AMIS Short Message Service (SMS) information system is a government‐owned and user‐friendly system that allows farmers and traders across the country to exchange and access prices of selected agricultural commodities sold in major markets through their mobile phones. It is a [...]
- Poverty increased from 22.7% to 24.7% between 2008 and 2009, according to a World Bank report. Poverty increased three times faster in rural areas than in urban areas.
- Cereal production recovered in 2011. Based on preliminary estimates, production increased by 77% [...]
- Wheat prices are high in all major markets in spite of the recent months' slight decrease.
- Reduced domestic wheat harvest is a cause for concern for the food security situation, expecially for the low income [...]
- Rice prices decreased in the recent months thanks to good Aman and Aus production, while wheat prices continued to rise.
- Localized food insecurity persists. International agencies agree on a high prevalence of hunger and the need to assist people in the [...]
- In La Paz, rice prices registered a sharp decline followed by a sharp increase in January and February 2012.
- The food security situation is likely to be affected by heavy rains. WFP was requested to organize a rapid Emergency Food Security [...]
- Food prices started their upward trend unseasonably increasing in December as a result of this year's reduced output. By January, the price for sorghum and millet had increased by more than 30% in major markets.
- The combination of low agricultural production [...]
- Market activities are hampered by conflict and civil insecurity, resulting in very limited access to food.
- Food security conditions are dramatically affected by the continuing conflict that limits the humanitarian agencies to access conflict-affected population. Agencies agree on a very high [...]
- Food prices showed a very volatile trend in the reference period, registering the highest increases in January/February 2012.
- Food security is severely affected by conflict in many provinces. According to WFP, some 4.4 million people have been reached with food assistance [...]
- Among the causes of vulnerability to food insecurity are economic constraints and high international food and fuel prices.
- According to international agencies, widespread lack of access to food is reported and there is a general agreement on the extremely alarming hunger [...]