New! Country Briefs
The Country Briefs monitor
- cereal and livestock prices; and
- analyze factors affecting the current food security situation.
- Prices of sorghum, millet and wheat steadily increased in most markets due to shortages in the 2011 production. Wheat prices, not only have shown a volatile trend, but were also nearly three times higher than international prices.
- About 3.2 million people [...]
- High food prices and political instability have pushed additional poor households into a condition of extreme food insecurity.
- Widespread lack of access to food is reported. Food distributions by international agencies are constrained by conflict and high levels of insecurity.
- According to [...]
- Maize prices were slightly higher; nevertheless levels remained steady during most of 2011.
- The overall food security situation remains stable; however the peak of the lean season in January/February together with the high prices, constrained food access for the low income [...]
- In 2011, agricultural production increased by 14% compared with 2010. Cereal production was respectively 35% and 24% above 2010 and 2006–2010 average levels.
- The Food Price Index increased by 12.3% in 2011 compared with 2010. Prices of bread and beef remained [...]
- Agricultural production in 2011 was 5.8% above 2010 level. Cereal production was 23% higher than 2010 level.
- Food prices have increased by 10.6% in 2011 for a broad spectrum of food commodities including staple food.
- Cereal imports in 2011 were 13% [...]
The workshop was held on 13 June 2011 at Settha Palace Hotel, Vientiane Capital. The meeting was organized by the Department of Planning, the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF) in collaboration with the National Science Council (NSC), with technical [...]
- Wheat prices have been steadily rising since mid 2010 in most markets and are expected to remain high due to the reduced harvest.
- Localized food insecurity is reported in [...]
- Rice prices went down as the new harvest reached markets, however heavy monsoon seasonal rains are likely to drive prices back to a high level.
- Conditions of Food security have been deteriorating in recent months mostly due to severe flooding. Agencies [...]
- Prices of rice, yellow maize and wheat flour have shown a decreasing trend in recent months thanks to the new harvest in March 2011.
- Food security was expected to improve but agencies report high prevalence of undernourishment and a situation of [...]