New! Country Briefs
The Country Briefs monitor
- cereal and livestock prices; and
- analyze factors affecting the current food security situation.
- Coarse grain prices have remained mostly stable across the country up to July, reflecting ample supplies; however prices have began to increase in August as the lean season has approached.
- Food security conditions during the reporting period have been generally stable; [...]
- High food prices persist, but decline was observed in August 2011, in some of the markets: maize prices in Kisangani and Bunia showed a declining trend whereas local rice and cassava flour prices increased.
- According to international agencies the situation of [...]
- Insecurity remains a major factor impeding improvements in food security conditions and agricultural production.
- Agencies agree on the alarming level of hunger and malnutrition.
- International agencies face major problems in delivering aid to conflict-affected population due to constrained access.
- FAO has been supporting [...]
- Although there is no price data available, food security is expected to be affected by high international food and fuel prices as a consequence of the country’s high dependence on imports.
- Although there is no official data on the food security [...]
- Cereal prices continue to rise and are nearly reaching the levels of the 2008 food crisis. Negative terms of trade for pastoralist have worsened the already dire food security situation.
- The estimated number of people requiring emergency assistance continues to increase [...]
- Access to food is constrained by high prices resulting from a strong depreciation of the local currency.
- A substantial section of the population are exposed to chronic food insecurity, agencies report localized food insecurity and depict the situation of hunger as [...]
- Prices of imported rice and maize went up in recent months following international price increases while local rice and maize prices remained stable or declined.
- Food insecurity is persistent in many areas; different agencies reported a stressed to crisis level of [...]
- Prices of basic foods remained high: in Tegucigalpa maize prices showed an increasing trend in the last few months and were more than double the prices of the year before.
- Food security was generally stable throughout the country despite the lean [...]
- The sharp increase in staple food prices reached its record level in July leading also to considerable deterioration of terms of trade for pastoralists.
- An estimated 3.75 million people are classified as food insecure. Major concerns are for the over 490,000 [...]
- Imported rice prices have remained high during the reporting period due to high international food and fuel prices, high transportation costs and increased seasonal demand.
- Food security conditions were particularly worrisome for poor and vulnerable groups in the northern and southern [...]